Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Starbucks

Please, forgive my ignorance, but why do people have suck a big problem with Starbucks?
I can understand why people have a grudge against McDonalds, the things that they sell are shit, a bit like anything sold by Richer-sounds, say, or Maplins. It looks like the real thing, but, in actuality, it's shoddy tat.
Starbucks sell coffee. If you want is so, bog standard hot water plus coffee. If you so desire it, you can have it adjusted to your preference. If not [and nobody forces you], bang, there you go, coffee.
So, maybe it's the fact that Starbcks are springing up everywhere, like cow shit in a field. Is that a bad thing? What coffee shop are they displacing? None as far as I can see. Starbucks arrives first then some clone has a go within a few yards and all of a sudden Starbucks is the bad guy, not the originator. [I don't recall everybody playing fuck about Cafe Nero when they were springing up like crack-houses, nor about McDog when they started to oust the good old Wimpey Bar].
Well maybe it's the fact that its an international [left wing speak for American] company that pays its worker peanuts. Does Starbucks on Euston Rd pay its staff any less than the Euston Flyer nextdoor? No, they actually pay them more.
I know that I hate Tesco but it's not because they just made £2 billion profit, it's because their staff don't know one brand of cig from another despite working the samecounterr selling the same fuking thing every day [how often have you ever been in Starbucks and the staff didn't know which coffee was which?].
So, please, somebody, tell me why people hate Starbucks!
[and I don't expect any white trash with dreadlocks I make my own clothes from recycled turds type answers]

3 Comments:

Blogger Doug said...

Actually Starbucks style of coffee is to really burn the beans. Some people love it, but it really is burnt and not roasted. I really abhor there coffee and would prefer another shop to open in there place. Over here we have more selection, Seattle's Best, Caribou Coffee, Borders blends and I like them far better. I do like the frappucinos at Starbucks. And the scones.

12:21 AM  
Blogger coolbuddha said...

Their sarnies are expensive, but they do a lovely froth.

8:14 AM  
Blogger liits said...

OK, two out of a world population of five billion or so.... maybe it's just a London thing that all these left wing, stop the war, make your own clothes / badge / demo banner bunch don't like Starbucks.

6:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home