Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Good Films, Thankless Tasks


At no small expense to my good self, I managed to get my copy of Spring & Port Wine transferred onto DVD. I also got a copy for my brother.
This is one of the best Brit films never released on either video or DVD.
I managed to scab my copy from Channel 4 so it's a broadcast quality copy. It also has a constant time-clock, running in the bottom left corner.
Mat was not pleased.
"It's got a time thingy on it"
"I know"
"Oh, well, in that case, I don't want it"
Fine, he can fukin wait until it's eventually released. This mat be some years off. The guy who wrote it, Bill Naughton still hold the rights for it and won't release it foe the retail market.
This is because James Mason, the lead actor, hammed the role up so much the Bill Naughton thought that he ruined it. Apparently, he wasn't keen for it to be made into a film anyway and this confirmed his belief.
Here is a link to a fans website Spring & Port Wine.

2 Comments:

Blogger ems said...

I've only ever seen James Mason in the London Nobody Knows at the ICA (twice). Absolutley fantastic documentary in which his wit and Englishness shine through. I'd love that on DVD.

8:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They're few things as frustrating as having a gift thrown back in your face. My brother's done that to me before too. Oh well. You can choose your friends but not your family!

http://indigohalo.com/pblog/index.php

7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home