Monday, March 06, 2006

Shit Sportsmen

[That last post stirred a few memories]
Many moons ago, when I was doing my apprenticeship, two of the guys in the same intake as myself were "amateur" sportsmen. Dean Arnison played semi-pro football for Huddersfield Town, Gerry Clarke [who I fancied rotten] rode for fun [and I bet he did too!] with the Featherstone Road Club.
Also in the factory were tow guys who played semi-pro rugby league [rugby league was all semi-pro then]. One for Castleford, the other for Featherstone Rovers. Another guy was in the British Olympic Cyclo-Cross team.
The lovely Gerry Clarke would ride from his home in Pontefract to Leeds and back everyday. Not only to get to and from work but as a part of his training [His daily miles total was around 70, I think]. The two rugby guys played every week, plus all the training too, and had no end of broken noses, missing teeth etc.
Steve Barnes, the cyclo-cross guy was shit. I don't think Long John Silver limped as much as Steve. How he ever got into the Brit Olympic team, Christ only knows.... [and he got time off of work to train. [He got dropped from the team because he was so crap]].
Dean Arnison only had around four games per season because he was always injured.
Although this is not a pukka scientific law....

Furphy's Law states that-
The louder a "sportsman" shouts about his skill,
the less skill there will be.

This one is for you, Gerry, you and your gorgeous legs!

1 Comments:

Blogger Will said...

Just found you today via your comment on Agent XXX's blog. I like the way you write--honest, ballsy, and a lot of fun.

I'll be back.

6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home