Wednesday, January 09, 2008

.... and that brings me on to... the Alan Bennett moment.

I like Alan Bennett. He's become a bit of a "National Treasure"recently but his writing hasn't suffered for that. My Mam liked Alan Bennett too. On one of my periodic visits, I had in the car one of the Talking Heads series of monologues, the one that includes A Lady of Letters, performed by Patricia Routledge.
The gist of it is, she's a frustrated spinster who gets her kicks by writing poison pen letters. Anyway, she's come home after having gone out to post another letter and had just finished reading the newspaper; "I've read the Evening Post," and before the next line came out my Mam followed it up with "There's nowt in it". Low and behold this is the next line in the speech.
Now I knew this, having heard the play before. Mam had never heard it. But, Mr Bennett, being a Leeds lad and writing about what he knows, voices his characters with the idiom with which he grew up.
"There's nowt in it" must be uttered in thousands of homes across Leeds every evening. It's even said in this house and I read the bloody thing on line!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger beth said...

I would prefer to be saying something far more original but: Alan Bennett - Yes!

8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home