Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Libraries

It seems to be that some of the blogs that I read and some of the people who read my blogs have a connection with libraries. Doug's blog mentioned that the library he works in is being refurbished / enlarged and that he's happy with the change. Good for him, he has to work in the place.
I don't use a library in London. Camden [Council] libraries are not very good, I've been in two of them, and was not impressed.
I was not concerned with the selection or range of books, I didn't even get that far. I was put of straight away by the fact that they have a children's play area. This didn't have any books in it but a wide selection of toys. Do they lend toys? Perhaps it was to keep the little loves quiet [fat chance!].
Anyway, my mind went back to the library in Crossgates. There is a website called the Leodis Database which has thousands of pictures of old Leeds. Amongst them are some pics of the library at Crossgates. I always remember that it was opened on the 14th December, my birthday, but in 1936 [as opposed to 1964, when I was born]. It was a marvelous 1930's style place, not art-deco, and is exactly the same today as it is in the following pics [or it was, the last time I was in there, about a year ago].

The Library Lobby

The central area of the childrens library

The childrens library again

The main [adult] library.

The view, taken from just inside the main entrance loby, looking into the main library.

The reference library, I never remember seeing this many books in it!

The "reading room". ultimatly taken over by social services.

1 Comments:

Blogger Doug said...

Unfortunately, libraries are turning into early learning centers, and they are really putting money into childrens areas with toys... well, learning tools. But that is just the way of the world right now, I am afraid. I am with you. Kids come in should be read to. We have plenty of books to give them.

1:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home