Thursday, May 24, 2007

Good viewing, crap reading.

Hmmmm, I was stuck for something to read so, in desperation, I re-read Remains of the Day again.
I had read the "book" many years ago and thought that it was the biggest load of rubbish in print.
I still hold that opinion.
I had originally seen the film on New Years Day on channel 4 and thought it was superb. Then I read the book.
Whoever wrote the screenplay must have been very talented and had a vivid imagination because how such a great film was concocted out of such thin material defies belief.
At the second reading, it puts me in mind of some of the Booker / Whitbread / Orange prizewinning tosh that I've tried to read. Pseudo high brow / high art rubbish.

A load of old tosh [which, incidently, never mentions butlers, English or otherwise]. Reviews of the [un-readable] book tend to be reviews of the film.

The real McCoy.

2 Comments:

Blogger KAZ said...

Thanks for saving a few hours of my life. I too loved the film. Christopher Reeve was in it wasn't he?

12:44 PM  
Blogger Doug said...

I really love that film. It is just a beautiful story. Though, I have not read the book. Now, I probably won't. I have been thinking of you this weekend. I am reading the Graveyard Position by Robert Barnard and it is set in Leeds. Not much about Leeds, it is just the setting.. but it made me think of you. It is a pretty good book, actually. Kind of a suspense novel.

12:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home