Thursday, May 03, 2007

Good books - good films. Bad books......


One of the first works of fiction that I read was Red Dragon by Thomas Harris. Straight after I read Silence of the Lambs. Then I saw the film [Silence of the Lambs]. I thought that both were very good stories and the films were good too. The I read Black September and thought that it was so-so.

Then came Hannibal. I read the book before I saw the film and didn't recon much to either.

Just as the book came out, there was an article by Mr Harris in the Mail on Sunday. I've read some shite but that was a real load of cod psychology / pseudo babble about how and why writers do what they do and where they get their inspiration from. He was definitely paid to write it, or he was drunk.

Ignore the fact that there was a re-make of Red Dragon, although it wasn't bad.....

Now comes Hannibal Rising. I've not read the book and having gotten half way through the film, doubt that I will. I'll be lucky if the film goes the distance without me hitting the "off" button.
I also doubt that at £20, I'll be buying the book.

1 Comments:

Blogger Doug said...

That is what a library is for! But seriously, I think he is writing just to get the books filmed now and not thinking about actually putting out something good. I tried to read Red Dragon, and it creeped me out too much. Of course, that was in high school so my creep out factor was pretty low. But I don't read the Hannibal books.

12:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home