Saturday, April 21, 2007

One Trick Pony

Last week, I was slagging off my home town of Leeds and mentioned Anthony Gormley, the artist famous for the Angel of the North [very good] and a whole raft of life-size figure planted in a beach somewhere else up north [so-so].
This bit of pre-amble leads me to one of his less well known works which, when I lived chez Green Man, I saw every day without realising that it was one of his pieces.
I should have known that it was one of his because Mr Gormley is a bit of a one trick pony and all his well known works are [very slight] variations on a theme. They're all figures of men. Admittedly, some are a tad androgynous but mostly recognisably men.

Now you see what I mean?

Anyway, back to Euston Road. Outside Regents Place, the home of the GMC is another "Gormley". Outside on the pavement is a life size figure which is mirrored on the other side of the glass by, obviously, a life size figure. Of course, It's the one I couldn't find a picture of.

I'm beginning to think that Mr G has less imagination than the average bulldog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home