Friday, March 16, 2007

Relieved of Comedy

I'm sure I remember a time when Comic Relief was at least worth watching. What I don't recall is it being worth watching right the way through. It seemed to start at around the same time, just after the Six o'clock news and finish at around midnight. In between times there would be some of the tired old faithfuls. Dads Army, Only Fools and Horses, The Good Life. All of these interspersed with Lenny Henry urging us to give, give, give. It was all in a good cause. Who or what we were supposed to be relieving by laughing I can't remember. Nor do I recall seeing anything as being "paid for by you mugs via Comic Relief" type banners / placards on anything.
I'm sure it was just an excuse for the BBC to repeat some old tat and not have to put any thought into that nights scheduling.
Things, as they say, aint what they used to be. Today IS comic relief day. Looking at tonights program listing and all I can see is 19.00 COMIC RELIEF, THE BIG ONE. No other indication of what to expect.
But today is Ground Hog Day. It seems like every night since New Years Day, the TV has been filled with Comic Relief Does....... The only thing they don't seem to have done is the evening news. At least all of this week the telly has been full of Comic Relief things.
In years past I would never have dreamed of giving anything [money] to such an entrpries. As the years go on and such events become self promoting guff I only dream of one of the major participants being caught with his / her fingers in the till so that we'll never have to suffer the bloody thing again.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger The Fatalist said...

What pisses me off is that everyone expects you to contribute because it's for Comic Relief. Granted it's a good cause, but I don't have many shekels to spare, & call me old fashioned, but I'd like any donations I can make to be a teeny bit more specific. Whilst the cause is good, it's a bit too broad for me to give anything. Plus most people who make a prat of themselves for Comic Relief are fucking arseholes for the rest of the year. I'm not giving THEM money to make themselves feel so good for doing their bit for CHARIDEE. Fuck off loser, if I want to give some money to charity I'll do it on my own terms when & where I like!

8:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home