Sunday, March 18, 2007

Bigger may not be better, apparently



Why do people hate things that are good at what they do? Today I was talking to somebody about how he could go about finding a particular website. "Oh, I couldn't possibly use Google" he said in a most offended manner. Now I never mentioned Google, I only said "search RareTV". Search meant type it into whatever search engine he used and see what the result was. All of a sudden I find myself on the receiving end of a political diatribe on how Google helps oppression of the masses in China. Who the fuck cares?

It's the same with Starbucks and McDonald's. Ok the service in Starbucks is poo but the coffee is fine. McDog have shite food but millions of lowlife vote for it with their feet. I doubt that good old Ronald McDonald sits wringing his hands because some Guardian reading prick thinks his employment policy and animal welfare ethics are a bit iffy.

So how come some sixty year old, otherwise sensibly thinking, middle class guy suddenly develops a social conscience about four billion peasants, most of whom don't have any Internet access to be oppressed by anyway? What is the world coming to?

2 Comments:

Blogger Doug said...

I am so glad you are back! And with a pub to boot. Wish I were there to be able to come in for a drink and a hello. Being a librarian I would not be able to survive without google. We look everything up on it! It is the librarian's friend!

1:12 AM  
Blogger The Fatalist said...

Indeed doug indeed! If I worked in a library that is, never mention work, it gets you in trouble! ;-)

8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home