Sunday, February 05, 2006

Sunday

Reading the paper this morning, good old Mail on Sunday, I suddenly realized how little of the paper I do actual read.
For quite a few years most UK newspapers have had a separate supplement dedicated to football. I loath football and everything about it. I can, sort of, understand somebody having an interest if they actually play the game, but mostly, it is "supported" to the point of fundamentalism by overweight half-witted cunts who have never kicked anything more than their heels.
So the football section goes straight in the bin.
As does the Financial section, all our money is spent before we get it, so that's no bloody good. Followed by the Property section, we have a house, how many can you live in at once? Then the TV guide, for the TV that I don't watch.
This is all before I even get to the magazine, overpriced frocks, bras, shoes and handbags. None of which are any good to be because 1. I don't have the figure for female attire and 2. I wouldn't wear the shite they advertise even if I had.
In the magazine todat was a whole spread about "Boyz Toyz". This consisted of a whole raft of radio controlled cars, I-Pod accessories and other tat of a like kind.
I-Pods, I can see a benefit to having one [although I don't have one myself], but radio controlled cars? What the fuck is that all about?
When I was a kid there was a toy called Scalextric. thich was like a model trainset but based on the theory of racin cars, sort of....
Well I guess that radio controlled cars are a grown up version.
What I imagine is also the same, despite the march of technology, is the fact that some crucial, microscopic part, vital to the functioning of the gizmo will be missing when it comes out of the box or, will be the most fragile thing ever made and will cease to function after the first few seconds, thereby rendering your £200 well and truly down the khazi.
Back to the papers.... Most of the last third of the paper itself is made up of adverts for holidays and flights aimed at those who want to recreate life on the Orient Express, but without the murders, or go see Matchu Pitchu but without the mozzies. All this isf inally rounded off by the sports pages.
This leaves me with about 30 pages of readable material.
On average, mySundayy reading costs me about 4p per page.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Fatalist said...

Agree, there is a hell of a lot of shit in the sundays, but there always has been. What annoys me is there is just as much crap wrapped round a saturday paper as well. But, hey, it's the evolution of Fleet Street. And you can't stop progress. With the march of it I would'nt have three shoe boxes stuffed full with freebie CDs and DVDs from the papers!
Generally the MoS is a pile of shite, but I've stayed 'loyal' to it as they were the first sunday paper to include proper non-league football results about two decades or more ago, no other reason. Now that really is sad...

8:46 PM  
Blogger coolbuddha said...

Aah, but I miss the old Sunday Times...I use to be an avid newspaper buyer until someone pointed out that my flat was looking like a bag lady's...

7:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home