Sunday, July 17, 2005

Lookalikes

Do you remember the advert for the Economist with the guy taking his seat on the plane and finding himself sitting next to Henry Kissenger? The tag line was something like “If you’d read the Economist you’d have something to talk about”.
My delightful older brother, whose company I had the pleasure of on Gay Pride day was heading back home to all the delights that Leeds has to offer [good fish & chips, evil suicide bombers etc] and found himself sitting opposite Alan Bennett on the train.
Alan Bennett is my literary idol. Alright, for a lot of his stuff it helps to be northern, but I don’t care, I think he’s great.
Now although my brother is quite well read, he’s no that “up” on AB.
“Did you talk to him?” I asked
“No” came the reply.
“Why ever not, what a missed opportunity!”
“Well he did ask to borrow my paper but it didn’t go much beyond that. I thought he was David Hockney and I know bugger all about either painting, swimming pools or gay men so I thought it best to keep schtum. It was only as we got off the train at Leeds and I heard somebody ask him for his autograph that I realised who he was”.
Burk.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home