Friday, July 08, 2005

Today, the day after yesterday

Well we did it. We being London and, did it, being won the right to host the Olympics in 2012.
Again, back to Trafalgar Square for another day of foot ache. It wasn’t that bad, only a seventeen hour-long shift, I wish I’d gone to work instead. [If some of these posts about work don’t quite make sense, I’ll explain all in the next post].
Although I “was there” I didn’t see a single thing that happened on the stage all day. Once it got to about twelve o’clock I was stuck at the southeast corner re-directing traffic. Joy.
The only highlight for me was my bosses having to climb into the fountain to wrestle with some drunk and being cheered by upwards of ten thousand people, loved it.
Finding a taxi home after midnight was no fun. There was no way I was going to walk from the square to Great Portland St after standing up all day [and I had to be up early for work this morning] but it began to look that way. Then, joy of joys, a dodgy taxi. Bless his little Albanian head.
So, up early, but not bright, this morning and off to Birkenhead Street. [Which for those of you who don’t know is immediately opposite Kings Cross Station.
I only had to go in for the first hour and then off to Camden for the rest of the day for a training course.
Between 8 & 9 o’clock nobody else arrived for work, which I thought was odd, so at 9 o’clock I left.
As I was queuing to get onto the bus at Kings Cross I heard the evacuation alarm going off in the underground station. I thought “thank fuck I’ll be away from here before that lot get turffed out of the underground.
By the time the bus got to Camden Town tube station the crowd outside was massive.
The training course had been underway for only around half an hour when one of the staff from the hotel came in to announce the news of the bombs.
My God, you would have thought that Kennedy had been shot! [David has just reminded me that he has been shot. Serves him right, his father tried to sell us down the river to the Nazis].
Anyway, back to the bombs. I know it may sound callous to those of you of a Guardian reading disposition but what is all the fuss about? The IRA has been doing this to London since 1928.
The thing that people forget is that the IRA HAVE been doing it to us since 1928 it’s just that you were all either watching Big Brother or using your mobile phone.
I worked for the security forces in Northern Ireland [no, I wasn’t in the army] for a lot of years and they suffered far worse than we did.
Cast your mind back to a time before Celebrity Blah Whatever, when News at Ten showed all the blood & gore of Belfast without the “Some of you may find some scenes disturbing”. Do you recall that they never asked any of the populace for their opinion? Well, they didn’t. Why? Because it was a part of everyday life.
A part of everyday life now is the chatter of the hysterically chattering classes.
E.g. [a quote from the Evening Standard [from some dozy cow who was on the Tube]].
“All the lights went out and somebody screamed”
I was on the tube last week and all the lights went out, as they do quite often, by the way, and some silly bitch screamed.Now I doubt that it was the same female but what set me wondering is…. How do these people afford their electricity bill? They must never turn a fukin light out.

1 Comments:

Blogger liits said...

Although it's not quite true that ACAB I would be pleased to confirm that 95% of them are. The 5% who are not are the ones who are on "permanant" sick leave, wise chaps. The 95% are perceved [and rightly so] to be so because they generaly stop you doing what, in the normal course of things, you have become accustomed to doing, have been seen doing by them, or one of their number and for no apparent reason have suddenly taken exception to. Miserable fuckers.
Does that make sense?

1:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home