Thursday, January 31, 2008

Fog in the eyes

Of the few blogs that I read, one of them [Girl on a train] lists losts of music. Another blog, KAZ, had referenced this and also posted about music.
Music is much on my mind at the moment.
In March, Jean-Michelle Jarre is playing at the Albert Hall and, come hell or highwater, I'm going. I missed the chance to see him the last time he was in London, about 1990. While it won't be a stomping, clapping affair, I'm really looking forward to it. Music for the soul.
Music, for me, tends to be the stuff that I download from Limewire, high energy dance / trance type of thing. I don't often buy music but I did yesterday. Britten's "Peter Grimes". Not only is it opera, it's [semi] modern opers. As with most albums, they tend to be bought for just the one track. I bought Peter Grimes for one piece of music. Don't ask me what it's called but I've known it for years. It tends to accompany scenes of the sea [which is the setting / theme of Peter Grimes]. It's the most sublime piece of music I can remember hearing in years. More music for the soul.

Benjamin Britten

Third and last part; the best band in the world, ever, was Lindisfarne.
In times past, I would travel all over the country to see Lindisfarne. Times change and while I still like the music, I stopped going to see them lots of years ago.

It saddened me to discover recently that Alan Hull, lead singer and founder of Lindisfarne had died.

Sadly, Lindisfarne are remembered for a re-hash of their most famous track "Fog on the Tyne" [with Paul Gasgoine, proffessional football player and fat bastard]. What they should be remembered for is having Gennesiss as their support act and selling out Newcastle City Hall every December for years on end.
God bless you Alan, Fog on your Tyne, fog in my eyes.

Alan Hull

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home