Monday, January 02, 2006

A Belated Christmas Present

I love Alan Bennett. Or, to be precise, I love what he writes. His latest chunk of northern gloom "Untold Stories" are the dark bits that fill in some of the gaps from his other tales.
I bought this on the day of publication [yep, I'm that kind of sad sod!] and had read it within a couple of days.
Today we had the descending on us of friends. They're Dave's friends, not mine. I wouldn't have them in the house if I had the option.
As a sign of the "Season of goodwill to all men and Chris too" they'd bought me a prezzie, Untold Stories.
Now in the ordinary course of events, such a situation would result in "oooh, thankyou, just what I wanted" but, because of who was giving it, I couldn't manage much more than "thanks, now I'll be able to take it on holiday and not have to worry about bringing it home". The look on Dave's face told me that I'm gonna be spending another romantic evening with myself but I don't care. Never has a present been so unwanted.

4 Comments:

Blogger Feeling Blue in a Red State said...

hmmmm not familiar with him but wuill check out if I ever start reading again.... I just discovered the Ricky Gervais podcast and they are brilliant... he is amazing. Have you seen the American version of "the Office". It pales to the Brit version but is growing into a solid show.

4:14 AM  
Blogger liits said...

I must admit that there were some episodes of the Office that were cringe makingly accurate but others were, well, "as far fetched as tea from China" [as my mother would say, meaning not so true to life]. The other thing that he's done on Brit TV, "Extras", about the extras used in film and TV series' is very good. The stars are the actual "stars of these supposed shows and are lampooned without mercy!

9:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must confess I think I would enjoy reading this, I saw the interview a month or so ago on the south Bank Show, but therin lies the problem. I can't really read any poncy crap that's been on the South Bank show can I...

10:17 PM  
Blogger liits said...

I will have you know that AB is NOT poncey crap, thankyou very much! [start with "Telling Tales", very funny].

11:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home