Monday, March 24, 2008

Ladies Apparel

Let me say, from the start, that I am not a connoisseur of women’s clothing. Admittedly, I have worn frocks on the odd occasions, for New Years fancy dress parties, and such like. But other than that, that’s it.
What sparked this post was a conversation at work. Somebody mentioned Blustons, in Kentishtown, and how it was a shop that was on the verge of closing, it being the sort of shop that catered for ladies of a certain age, and had suddenly had a bit of an upturn in its fortunes.
Blustons is an olde-worlde emporium, how many shops these days advertise that they sell gowns or wrap the display garments in brown paper when it’s really sunny? Allegedly, the Saturday girl is over 70 and has been there since the early 60’s [although I think that that story may be apocryphal].

What had started the upturn in business was that the shop, because it sold larger sizes, began to be frequented by gentlemen who like to wear women’s clothes.
Being the token gay man in out section, I was asked for my opinion as to why transvestites would want to wear such dowdy clothing. Not being a transvestite, I couldn’t really answer. The two things that I could offer were that 1. Not every transvestite dresses like Lilly Savage, and 2. Why do people associate transvestism with homosexuality?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why do people associate transvestism with homosexuality? Because they assume (incorrectly) that many homosexual men assume the role of the woman in their relationship with another man. Having said that, a fair percentage of transvestites are homosexuals and indeed love assuming the role of a woman.

12:42 PM  
Blogger Doug said...

I don't think that a drag queen would want to be dowdy and that is different from a transvestite. Though I think the few transvestites I have seen do need to improve their clothing selections.

Where is the pic of you in a frock?

1:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home