Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Male Grooming

I don’t like getting shaved. I don’t even see it as a necessary evil. I see it as a way of nature robbing me of an extra five minutes in bed on a morning.
To thin end, I only tend to get shaved every couple of days.
I also dislike shaving because my fur is like fuse wire. Myself and my brothers are cursed by this, but it’s not really a family trait. My dad’s hair was very thin [in every sense of the word] while we, his sons, are all like baboons; at some point the whole troop of us sporting beards in some shape or form.
It doesn’t follow that because I don’t like shaving that I like to wear a beard, I don’t. Facial hair is only a repository for food and, because mine doesn’t grow a uniform colour, I always look as though I‘m wearing a comedy mask.
To this end, when it comes to shaving, I’m quite picky as regards shaving equipment. It took me years to find a razor that would shave me as opposed to scrape me.

For a long time I used a safety razor. This thing was made by Wilkinson Sword and only took their brand of blades. Wilkinson’s are renown for making sharp swords [for ceremonial purposes] but blunt razor blades. Then Gillette came up with the “Sensor” range and a decent shaving gel to go with it. Of course, things have moved on a bit since then and I now use a Gillette Mach 3 which is about to be phased out so the whole process of finding a decent razor starts over again.

I can’t use a razor like the contraption that David uses. Four blades fixed in a tiny little head that swivels all over the place.
The whole purpose of this post, basically, was to extol the virtue of Nivea Shaving Gel. I’ve been using it for about a month, a tin of gel lasting me about a month, and this stuff is the bollox! I always thought the ultimate had been reached by Gillette with their range but this stuff leaves their goo standing.

Having laid up a supply of Mach 3 blades in readiness for them stopping production, all I have to do is wait for the inevitable, the day I can no longer buy them and have used up all my store. Then, I think, it’s back to the face fur.

1 Comments:

Blogger Doug said...

I shave the same time as I am in the shower. It seems to work for me. That way, I kill two birds with one stone and I get that extra ten minutes or so in bed. But shaving for me seems to be easy, I am not too wiry. I just buy the cheapo razors in hte super market !!

11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home