Friday, November 02, 2007

Doom, gloom and Cottingley


above; Cottingley Grange
I went up to Leeds on Thursday for a funeral. The funeral was actually today, Friday, but it gave me the excuse to go and see my eldest brother and have a few drinks. I didn't anticipate that it would take me four and a half hours to drive up there.
The funeral was for an aunt, Ellen [always known as Nelly] my mothers younger sister.
Every other funeral Ive been to has been at Lawnswood Crematorium but Nelly's was at Cottingley. Christ, it was grim.
Cottingley is in south Leeds and is overlooked by two huge great tower blocks, renown as being the dumping ground for all the shit that Leeds City Council can't house anywhere else.
Poor old Nell didn't get the best send off but at least the priest was good [if that's the correct way of terming it].
I was glad to come home. Mucky Leeds.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home